Welcome to the Big Apple aka NYC, the city that never sleeps. Take a moment to freeze the time and capture your memories with a photo shoot in NYC. We put together this guide to help you organise the shoot with you NYC photographer.
We’ll uncover the most important steps to organising the best photo session in New York City. We’ll discuss how to choose the right photographer among all the NYC photographers available, how to prepare for your NYC photo shoot, the ToDos of the D-Day and what to do after your photo session.
HOW TO BOOK YOUR NYC PHOTOGRAPHER
KYMA was designed to make the process of booking your NYC photographer not only fast simple and secure but also enjoyable. One thing to keep in mind is that each photographer is unique, we’re talking about individual artists, with each their own style & prices. More important than getting the cheapest NYC photographer possible you want to make sure that you are in love with his photography. Remember you are investing in timeless memories! That being said, here is how to book your NYC photographer:
- Browse through the photographers available for NYC romantic photo shoots (engagements, love, proposals, pre-weddings) or NYC family photo shoots on KYMA.
- Explore each photographer’s portfolio and story on their profile page.
- Compare each photographer’s proposed photo shoot packages.
- Save your favorite photographers and pick the winner.
- Send a booking request to your favorite NYC photographer by using the booking widget on the right of the profile page. Fill in the date/time and the package you prefer. Don’t sweat it, you can always adjust the time later with your photographer. The system will also ask you for your payment information in order to secure the date with the photographer.
- Within 48hours your photographer will confirm the photo shoot request.
HOW TO PREPARE & ORGANISE FOR YOUR NYC PHOTO SHOOT
Once your NYC photo shoot is confirmed, you can start organising the details. It is fairly simple and your photographer will help you do so. Here are a few things that will help you plan your photo session in New York:
What is the best location for your NYC photo shoot?
NYC is an incredibly big and tentacular city. No matter what your liking is in terms of scenery this city will have it. NYC photographers have their favorite spots and together you can decide which one will match the best your style.
We highly suggest you read this specific article: Where to shoot in NYC that includes detailed information on the best time to shoot and tips for each place. Make sure you also check the 4 most overrated places for a NYC photo shoot.
Date & Time of your NYC photo shoot
When sending your booking request you usually choose your preferred time and date. Fear not, you can always update that after, depending on the spots you will choose for your NYC photo shoot. Some are better at sunrise and others at sunset. Modification of date or time is very easy and can be done from your personal dashboard on KYMA.
Usually the best times are sunrise, sunset and nighttime.
Sunrise: Choose sunrise to enjoy a warm morning lights and less crowded streets.
Sunset: NYC has amazing sunsets. This creates a very scenic ambiance but the city is really busy at that time. In summer, the orange light inundates the main streets.
What to wear for your NYC photo shoot?
Often a though question. Overal is is recommended to go with solid colours or very simple patterns (it looks better when photographed). What you wear for your NYC photo shoot is very personal, after all it is your photo shoot and your personality should shine through – so don’t hesitate to be creative!
Overall this is our guideline:
- For Mr, usually a suit or a dress more sport/ chic.
- For Ms, a dress or formal/cocktail dress with heels (you could have flat shoes for walking around between the shots).
- Clothes in which you feel comfortable and attractive.
- Clothes you would be happy to see yourself in in 25 years.
- If it gets cold bring a nice & warm coat with a scarf. You might want to remove it for some pictures which is fine.
Should you use props during your photo shoot in NYC?
It really depends on you! Make your photo session in NYC as personal as you can. If it means bringing your favorite sign/umbrella/sweater/guitar/[fill the gap], feel free to bring it.
A lot of people also like to bring props like balloons, big hearts etc… this is really up to you. Photographers agree that props are usually a good addition to attract the attention on the picture and create some fun during the photo shoot.
How to move around NYC during your photo session?
We’ve all heard about the yellow cabs in New York City! NYC is a big city which means that depending on where your spots are from each other, one way will be better than the other. For example, during rush hour forget about the taxi/uber/car, you’ll be faster by metro or helicopter.
Your NYC photographer will create with you an itinerary that makes it easy for you to walk to every location. Overall walking is the easiest. If your next shooting location is a bit of a stretch by foot you can either get an Uber/Taxi or during rush hour, take the public transportation if faster.
What if it rains on the day of your NYC photo shoot?
Thankfully on KYMA you can modify the date and time of your photo shoot as long as your photographer is still available. Rain can be, contrary to common beliefs, incredible good for photos. It usually sparks emotions and makes everything more dramatic – in a good way. If it becomes too intense however, NYC has a lot of covered areas which are great for photo sessions. Your photographer knows them.
It’s the DAY OF The PHOTO SHOOT – Now What ?
Discover the D-day to do list for your photo shoot in NYC :
- Leave important belongings at your hotel. Take the bare minimum: some cash (or card), a phone and the card of your hotel. Leave the wallet / purse / backpack at the hotel. Don’t risk loosing it / getting it stolen during the shoot.
- Take a screenshot of the photo shoot reminder email and carry it on your phone. (You will have to give the photographer the payment code mentioned inside).
- For Ms, make sure to bring shoes easy to walk around with as an extra pair.
- Take a look at the weather forecast before you go. It can be a good idea to add a few layers of clothes if it is cold. You will enjoy it more and you can always remove them for the shots.
- Eat something before – you don’t want to be “hangry” for your photo shoot!
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before the photo shoot starts.
Quick tip, for having the best photo shoot in NYC: each photos are created with you and your NYC photographer. It is important to understand that photographers cannot create magical and candid shots by themselves; they need your help. By help we mean, have fun and be yourself during the shoot. Come with the expectation of spending an amazing time with your partner – this is your personal time. Your photographer in New York will help you with poses and making sure you look at your best but he cannot force you to smile. So come and Enjoy the experience – the pictures will be amazing!
AFTER YOUR NYC PHOTO SHOOT
After your photo shoot in NYC we’re sure you will be impatient to see the photos!
Receiving the pictures of your session:
Your NYC photographer will deliver the pictures usually via an online private gallery, once he his done working on them. You will receive the number of images mentioned in the package that you chose.
KYMA has been built to help you find and book the best photographers in NYC for a photo shoot. We built verified reviews system that helps people select the perfect photographer in NYC. Reading feedbacks from previous clients helps in the decision process.
After your session, help others make the right choice: Leave a review to your photographer to share your experience. We will email to leave a review your NYC photographer within the next 2 weeks. We ask you not to skip this step as it is essential for helping your photographer grow his business the right way and helping others choosing a great photographer in New York.
FAQ / Read More
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
The first step is for you to identify the NYC photographer you want to work with for your NYC photo shoot via the search page. Review their profile, portfolio and reviews from past client to help make your decision.
WHY SHOULD I USE KYMA TO BOOK MY PHOTOGRAPHER?
KYMA provides a safe and secure way for you to book a photo shoot in NYC and pay your photographer in NYC. On top of this, we at KYMA believe in giving back to the world. KYMA donates 1% of each booking price to charity. Read more about it.
HOW DO I BOOK MY PHOTOGRAPHER IN NYC?
You will pay securely through the KYMA platform. Stripe helps KYMA provide a seamless payment experience for you. You can pay with VISA, MasterCard & American Express. All payments are secured and in case of cancellation you will be refunded according to the applicable cancellation policy for the photoshoot package you choose.
ARE YOUR NYC PHOTOGRAPHERS EMPLOYED BY KYMA?
All our photographers are independent professionals. We do not impose any style or price to our photographers.